Friday 29 February 2008

Mystery Jets

At the tender age of 16 you find that you’re constantly trying to find yourself and a lot of the time this comes through music. At the age of 17 I felt lost, I wasn’t sure who I was and what I enjoyed and disliked. Music came to my rescue admittedly the first band I ever saw was Babyshambles closely followed by The Paddingtons (remember them?). Thankfully the third band I ever saw was the wonderful Mystery Jets, I suppose watching them at the age of 17 was an eye opener and it could be described as a “moment”. Standing inside a sweaty Northampton Soundhaus watching first Larrikin Love (god bless them boys) I decided this was what I liked.

Three years later Mystery Jets return with a second album, a fresh sound and a new line up too (well not new, but now four members of MJ instead of five). I turn 20 in exactly a month’s time (how weird is having 29th of February eh?) Now, the reason I say this is because Mystery Jets new album is of course titled Twenty-One (no connection to me be 20 at all really, oh well).

I am lucky enough to have the sampler of the Mystery Jets new album which comes out in March and you should definitely buy it if you know what’s good for you. Mystery Jets are back and they are back stronger than ever, with Erol producing and Blaine singing as beautifully as ever it is the perfect combination. Although ‘Flakes’ was not released until December time it remains one of my favourite songs of 2007. Hearing that song to end a club night was electrifying and it really did feel like a moment. New single ‘Young Love’ is the best single of 2008 so far, and feels like a summer smash to me. Newly recorded ‘Half In Love With Elizabeth’ does not disappoint either, and new song ‘Girl Next Door’ adopts an 80’s feel to it and is Mystery Jets on the top of their game.

It was always going to be hard to follow up on ‘Making Dens’ but I think Mystery Jets might have produced one of the best second albums (from what I’ve heard so far) I’ve heard in my life time.

No comments: