Monday 18 February 2008

Run To Your Grave.



Without me even knowing (and a large majority of people) The Mae Shi have been around for donkeys years, in fact 2002 was the year the band actually formed. They come from Los Angeles, California and have had three albums previous to newest album “HLLLYH” which surprised me. There was me thinking this was a new band – however from what I’ve read the sound has changed dramatically from the earlier albums.

I have only heard songs from the “HLLLYH” (how is that pronounced? I always want to say “Hell Yeah!”). I have no idea how The Mae Shi sounded before 2008 but at times The Mae Shi sound like they are from the future. “Lamb and the Lion” demonstrates the bands at times futuristic sound, and at times the band’s vocals remind me much like Jesse Lacey of Brand New especially in “I Get Almost Everything”.

Brilliantly named “Pwnd” is a song The Rapture would be proud of, and fellow “HLLLYH” album track “Run To Grave” wouldn’t look out of place on any of the three Hot Chip albums. The Mae Shi mix rock and electronic music perfectly, with a slight twist of screamo in there too.

The album which is out now is released on the excellent Moshi Moshi (another Brand New reference) and it comes highly recommended from myself.

No comments: