Sunday 13 January 2008

Big in 08'.

WARNING: these are not artists I necessarily enjoy however artists I expect to become big this year, perhaps not due to them being particularly good in my opinion. Artists who I can imagine getting on your nerves maybe? Or even artists who will make it for the right reasons? Either way here is a run down of potential artists to make it this year.

Number One: Adele. She had to be number one on this list, pretty much everybody is tipping her to go onto big things this year. BBC had her as number one on their list of “Big in 2008” and with current single doing the rounds on all the Radio stations / Music stations I can imagine Adele becoming the “new” Kate Nash (eww at the sound of that). ‘Chasing Pavements’ is the new single if you didn’t know (how could you not know) and is a not a song I particularly enjoy but do think Adele has a powerful voice.

Number Two: Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong. Once again, not a massive fan of this band or the lead singer (he was on Peep Show and BBC show Tudors). However, I can see them becoming a house hold name in 2008, as big as t’Chiefs? Maybe not. However, the first single ‘Lucio Starts Fires’ is one of the catchiest songs I’ve heard in a long time. Supporting such bands as Babyshambles and Kaiser Chiefs certainly won’t harm their mass appeal.

Number Three: Foals. This is the first band in the list to make it for the right reasons, a band that are doing it for the right reasons, so it appears to me. The album ‘Antidotes’ is out in March and although I don’t expect it to go number one, I can see it become one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the year. I am glad they’ve not included previous hits ‘Hummer’ or ‘Mathletics’ – why you ask? No chance of a re-release for one thing, but also it will mean the inclusion of a different song that we’ve not got a studio version of.

Number Four. The Courteneers. Despite me not liking this band one little bit, you can tell already the masses are going to be on them like flies on shit. JL&TJJJ I agree are catchy there is something about them I just cannot hate, but The Courteneers are just utter toss. New single ‘What Took You So Long’ is being absolutely loved by MTV2 and the music channel NME TV (hahaha) amongst Radio 1 DJ’s. However the song in my opinion is terrible and just epitomises everything that is wrong about them.

Number Five. Black Kids / Vampire Weekend. Okay, so I know this is a bit unfair as the above is two artists. HOWEVER, I am piling them into ‘The One to Make It from across the Pond’ – though I am undecided on which one. I like both, but prefer Vampire Weekend, however I am not sure which one will make it “big” in this country. I guess time will tell!

I am stopping at five, just in case I predict more which don’t happen and I look silly! However, something I stumbled across just now on the internet.

1. Mika
2. The Twang
3. Klaxons
4. Sadie Ama
5. Enter Shikari
6. Air Traffic
7. Cold War Kids
8. Just Jack
9. Ghosts
10. The Rumble Strips

That is a list of who the BBC thought was going to make it big in 2007, quite laughable really. Okay, so Mika was loved by pretty much most Radio stations going and Klaxons did pick up the Mercury Music Award and are now taking over the world according to James Reynolds in this week’s NME. However, the Beeb were pretty wrong about the other 8, and who the fuck is Sadie Ama? Answers on a post card.

6 comments:

jamila FUCKING DANCE said...

sadie ama is my mother. how rude of you!

jamila FUCKING DANCE said...

i should also point out that every member of Enter Shikairaiaiiaikai is my dad.

Steph Mulrine said...

I love a bit of Enter Shikari for when I'm feeling like a hardcore 12 year-old raver!

Wooooooo!

I'd agree though. The others are a bit, well, err, no BBC. Just no.

Shaun said...

i think the bbc have done better this year with their predictions though. Tipping the likes of Adele, Black Kids, The Ting Tings, Duffy, Glasvegas, Foals, Vampire Weekend, Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong, MGMT and Santogold.

I can't see the last two becoming very big, despite them both being excellent.

FG said...

Re: The Twang, is a number 3 album not successful anymore?!

saam khi

p.s enable anon comments

Shaun said...

I didn't even know that album went to number 3. I guess that is a successful album, however they've not really lived up to the "hype" given to them by NME.

The album bombed critically I am sure.