Friday 18 January 2008

Who To Look Out For 08'.

This is in reply to my previous post (Big In 08), these following bands are ones I really am looking forward to seeing what they do during the coming year. None have an album out yet, and I doubt some of them even have one in the pipe line…

Damn Shames – Scottish trio Damn Shames are getting noticed for the right reasons by many music publications at the moment. I am yet to see them live, but read and hear their live shows are usually quite something. To say I’m excited to hear what they have to offer this year is quite an understatement. I discovered them near the end of last year and have been quite obsessed with ‘Fear of Assault’/’Last Things’ single out on Abeano.

Let’s Wrestle - Second trio of this list, this time hailing from London, NME had them in their “Things for 2008” list last week so they are certainly gaining plenty of attention, about right too. Similarly to Damn Shames I came across them at the end of last year and even got a Let’s Wrestle t-shirt for Christmas from my girlfriend which I was pleasantly surprised about. Don’t expect too much seriousness from Let’s Wrestle when listening to them, in fact don’t expect any. ‘I Won’t Lie To You’ is one of my favourite songs from 2007, Let’s Wrestle are fantastic and I look forward to their EP due out in sometime soon!

Elle Milano – I bang on about Elle Milano so much, and I tell people about Elle Milano all the time. I really do adore this band and the sound that they make, and I have done for yonks. I was slightly worried about hearing new material because I thought it would maybe not live up to old stuff, but it certainly did. Then when they become a threesome I was worried it would affect them, but it hasn’t what-so-ever. I am so excited about the album which should be out soon, fingers crossed.

Cut Off Your Hands – Another band I can’t say enough good things about, both live and on record. Terrific live does not really do them any justice; you’d have to go see them to understand how good they are live. The energy that they provide is so exciting to watch and makes you realise how much they love performing. I expect an album out this year and I really do expect good things from the album.

Friendly Fires – ‘Paris’ went down pretty fucking magnificently last year from everywhere and anywhere. They have now become many websites / magazines tip for 2007, although one publication (that will remain nameless, but I bet you can guess which one it was) compared them to Klaxons. Clueless. Friendly Fires are more than a one trick pony though, and I think ‘Paris’ is just a sign of what is to come from these excellent St. Albans boys.

Late of the Pier – There is no way I would’ve been able to miss out Late of the Pier. ‘Bathroom Gurgle’ was my Track of 2007, and if the album is anything like that then it is going to be a killer album and one I can imagine being in Top Lists of 2008. I wait in anticipation, excitement and enthusiasm of how the album will sound.

Video Nasties – I hope there will be an album out this year, currently still unsigned Video Nasties have the songs to put together a fantastic debut album. If Video Nasties can produce anything similar to the Karl Blau E.P then they will unveil a masterpiece upon music fans everywhere.

Johnny Foreigner – After critically acclaimed E.P ‘Arcs Across The City’ Johnny Foreigner have a lot to live up to. They pretty much gained full marks from everyone for the E.P so to follow up with an album as good is some ask for this Birmingham band. If any band can do it though Johnny Foreigner ARE the band to produce the best debut album of 2008. I really hope they will deliver a truly magical album that makes the loudest racket you could ever want to annoy your flatmates with.

Toyko Police Club – I am classing ‘A Lesson In Crime’ as a HUGE E.P therefore they qualify for this list, the album which I think was finished either today or yesterday should be out in the summer (seems ages away). It is a difficult album to release because some fans will want ALL new songs and some fans will want some songs from ‘A Lesson In Crime’ and some new songs. So either way somebody won’t be happy, but Tokyo Police Club are a clever bunch and they will do what they think is right – and until then I wait eagerly to see what the track listing will be.

Black Kids – Finally I end with the most blogged about / hyped band of 2007, which is amazing considering they exploded in about October time across the internet. There WILL be a lot of expectation around an album from Black Kids, and the question is can they cope with the high expectation put on them? Obviously only time will tell, but I personally think they will produce a fantastic album that will live up to the hype given to them. Hopefully they prove me right because I would love to see this band succeed after all the “hype”.

That's it, he says after realising how long this post is. Feel free to agree and disagree with me, opinions are always welcomed and acknowledged by myself.

1 comment:

westie said...

Cheers for linking to me, just booked let's wrestle for a festival I'm putting on over the summer! Need to get one of those tshirts aswell!