Thursday 10 January 2008

My Year In Lists.

I’ve decided to make a couple more lists before I reveal my top ten favourite albums of 2007 which obviously everybody reading this blog is dying to know.

Top Five Gigs 2007

This is a hard thing to firstly narrow down to five, but essentially remembering the best out of all the gig’s I have been to is the tough part.

5. CSS – Ibiza Rocks (July 07)

To say I wasn’t looking forward to this show is somewhat of a major understatement. There were three major factors: first off the boiling temperatures, secondly CSS not being my most favourite band and finally I felt like an OAP due to being burnt to a crisp a couple of days before. However, CSS put on a fantastic show and despite not being able to more very well they managed to make me dance, a little.

4. Kings of Leon – Birmingham Carling Academy (April 07)

When these dates were announced I was so excited, not making this tour was just not an option. From the moment I got my conformation e-mail through my excitement grew the closer this got. Kings of Leon did not disappoint, they were worth the 30 pounds spent on this ticket – throwing in old classics and new hits the foursome were on top form.

3. The Cribs – Northampton Soundhaus (March 07)

The Cribs return was highly anticipated by just about everyone who cared about good music. Having two ace albums already the question was could The Cribs conjure up a third album of equal ace-ness as the previous two? As already stated on this blog the third album is The Cribs on top form, and this gig was the best I’ve ever seen them. Chaotic as ever The Cribs included the classics and new songs which fitted in perfectly amongst old songs. The Jarman brothers have a sound that is just irresistible to the ears.

2. Foals / These New Puritans – Old Blue Last (October 07)

A free gig involving two great up and coming bands, there was so much right with this night I just couldn’t turn it down. Despite seeing Foals not on form at Scala the night before I was prepared to give them another chance. I am so thankful I did because they were a hundred times better than they were the previous night. Foals that night were well and truly on fire, and These New Puritans although a bad start impressed me more than I ever expected them too.

1. Les Savy Fav – Scala (October 07)

Six months ago if someone would have said this would be my best gig of 2007 I would have laughed in there face. As 6 months ago Les Savy Fav was just a name, a name of a band I never thought I would ever listen to. No idea why I never listened to them, but I didn’t. What. An. Idiot. Thankfully I was there that night in October and so was Tim Harrington and co, to say the night was a riot is probably an understatement. At one point there was 50 people on stage (including me) and someone crowd surfing above those 50 people. Tim Harrington controlled the stage like no other man I’d ever seen, and he did it in a way I don’t think anyone else on this planet could do so. Thank you Tim Harrington, and thank you Les Savy Fav.

No comments: