Tuesday 8 January 2008

Two Thousand And Seven [Part One].

2007 was certainly a good year for music, the comeback of Radiohead at the tail end of the year was welcomed by everyone. LCD Soundsystem’s album ‘Sound of Silver’ a highlight for many music fans and of course the return of Glastonbury saw 2007 as a good year for music. I expect 2008 to be a lot better with many debut albums set to come out (if not leaked already).

I am a bit late with a 2007 review I know, but I always prefer to be fashionably late, plus December is always a bit hectic and well January is always pretty dull. First up is the top singles from 2007 including 20 to 16. I am only allowing songs that were released in 2007 and only song per artist, which seems the only fair way.

20. Jack Penate – Have I Been A Fool?
Matinee

This is easily my favourite Jack Penate song off the album, unlike the other singles ‘Torn on the Platform’ and ‘Second, Minute or Hour’ didn’t get on my nerves after listening over and over. I mainly blame Radio 1 and in particularly Edith Bowman for this.

19. Noah and the Whale – 5 Years Time

Could’ve been a lot higher in the charts had the songs above it not been so bloody brilliant. This song was one I just could not stop listening to once I’d discovered near the end of 2007. This song is just the platform Noah and the Whale needed to make a name for themselves, and I truly expect 2008 to be a good year for them.

18. Of Montreal – Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse
Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

Easily the best named song on this list but also a great song which found me really, browsing MySpace like you do someone (I don’t even remember who) had this song as their profile song and fell in love with it there and then. Not hearing anything by Of Montreal before this definitely opened my eyes (ears) to their bizzareness.

17. Cajun Dance Party – Amylase

Cajun Dance Party are set for a big year in 2008, according to The Sun last Friday. I think anyone could’ve told you that though, so well done The Sun. Amylase just clicked with me, more so than ‘The Next Untouchable’ did, Thom Yorke loves this band and so do I.

16. Tokyo Police Club – Your English Is Good

Definitely my favourite Tokyo Police Club song of 2007 and there was many great ones by this band. ‘Your English Is Good’ was an instant hit in my earholes and the album set for a summer release is highly anticipated by myself and many others.

No comments: