Wednesday 9 January 2008

Two Thousand And Seven [Part Three].

University today involved a lecture on Italian Neorealism and then an Italian film from 1949 called ‘Bicycle Thieves’ and now I have four days off. University life isn’t so hard after all, which should really mean I update my blog a lot due to all the free time, so that’s exactly what I am trying to do. The final 10 of top tracks 2007 is on the agenda today starting with 10 to 6.

10. M.I.A. – Paper Planes
Kala

Admittedly the discovery of my love for this song only came recently but it is that good it goes straight into the top 10 of tracks from 2007.
M.I.A. is an artist that I never really “got” until the end of last year, but thankfully I did “get” her and really love this song.

9. Friendly Fires – Paris

Recently given 9 out of 10 by Drowned in Sound which is not easily done, this song really clicked me straight away. It actually reminds me of getting drunk at University last semester in my halls; therefore it reminds me of good times.
Friendly Fires are an excellent band both on record and live and I truly expect 2008 to welcome Friendly Fires with open arms.

8. These New Puritans – Numbers/Colours
Beat Pyramid

This duo of songs came out of nowhere to me last October, thankfully they found my ears. The day I received them I heard about a free gig they were doing the very next day, to which I went along to and was furthered impressed by
These New Puritans. ‘Numbers’ is my preference personally but take nothing away from the also ace ‘Colours’.

7. Foals – Hummer

This song had to be on this list, but I think
Foals are keen to leave this song well and truly in 2007. Not included in the forthcoming album ‘Antidotes’ the band decided against including there first “smash hit”. I believe this to be a good move; we all have this song so there is no need to include it on the album. It also means we will receive a new song rather than this one which we all already know and love. Most importantly it means no re-release of this song, something I would not expect Yannis and co to be interested in, thank God.

6. Blood Red Shoes – I Wish I Was Someone Better
Box of Secrets

‘It’s Getting Boring by the Sea’ grabbed my attention of
Blood Red Shoes; however ‘I Wish I Was Someone Better’ made me love Blood Red Shoes. Take nothing away from the first song, I think it is a cracking song but ‘I Wish’ is absolutely fantastic and sits well with the rest of the album which by the way is a stunning debut album.

No comments: