Wednesday 12 December 2007

Am I Good, Am I Bad, Am I Beautiful?

FLASHGUNS.

I am now officially done with University work; I finished my last assessment today at 12.30pm after doing an exam on Early Cinema and Soviet Cinema. Of course I was the first to leave the exam, I’d quite frankly written as much as I wanted to say about the topic (how much can you say about Early Cinema for fuck sake?) So, anyway I am going home in about 5 hours, which I really can’t wait for, although I start back at good old Sainsbury’s again tomorrow (ohh the memories, ohh the fun, ohh the laughter).

Anyways, I discovered Flashguns through a combination of them adding me to MySpace and reading Jamila’s wonderful blog (FUCKING DANCE). They are a quartet from London (via Brighton) and they consist of Sam, Giles, Olly and Ollie. Obvious influences include The Maccabees, The Smiths and Interpol, and when listening to Flashguns these influences are definitely apparent in their music. ‘Locarno’ is quite wonderfully poppy and it is a song which you just can’t get out of your head after a few listens.

My favourite song is ‘Good Witch/Bad Witch’ which resembles a Bombay Bicycle Club sound, although with a different twist (a twist a very much like and prefer to BBC – although BBC are excellent too). Flashguns write chaotic dark songs, and despite still being at boarding school they sound as tight as The Horror’s jeans.

Flashguns could well have a very good year in 2008, they may not but I am pretty sure at some point in the future this band will emerge and you will love them.

Flashguns – Locarno

Flashguns – Good Witch/Bad Witch

No comments: