Saturday 8 December 2007

Planets Over Planets, Slowly Dancing With The Sun

EMMY THE GREAT.

A cold, cold horrible rainy Saturday afternoon would usual equate to a gloomy and depressed feeling inside. However, I feel quite happy this I think this is due to the ridiculous amounts of The Shins I have been listening to this morning. Now, Emmy the Great has perked me up quite a great deal, so much so I decided to do my next blog on her.

Emmy the Great (full name Emma-Lee Moss) is a singer-songwriter from London via Hong-Kong. She writes beautiful folk-pop songs with clever lyrics and is probably my favourite female solo artist of the year. This year has seen the emergence of Kate Nash as the biggest British solo female artist (thanks to that fucking mind numbing song, you know the one). I was never a fan of Kate Nash (admittedly I liked Caroline’s a Victim) and didn’t think much of her album, I just don’t get her and her voice. However Emmy the Great is well… great. Completely opposite to the style and sound of Kate Nash (and in my opinion twice the singer-songwriter Kate Nash will ever be).

2008 looks like it could be another year of emerging female artists from these shores (Laura Marling and Adele come to mind). I just hope that Emmy the Great gets the recognition she rightfully deserves, however I think she will be over shadowed by the two previous female artists. However, hopefully Emmy the Great will prevail and get the fame she definitely deserves.

As previous mentioned her songs are simply perfectly beautiful, ‘Atoms’, ‘Paper Trails’ and ‘Secret Circus’ are just several examples. Although, my favourite song is ‘Canopies and Grapes’ which does seem to be everybody else’s too. Emmy the Great is exactly what the name suggests, and I’m expecting more from her in 2008.

Emmy the Great – Atoms

1 comment:

Tom Oakley said...

You're so right, Emmy the Great is ... great, but I am going to have to disagree with you about Kate Nash!
Emmy's music is just so wonderful, the lyrics are all really moving. Have you heard MIA? (The Emmy The Great song, not the singer) - it's amazing.
And City Song, it's about her getting an abortion or something it's great.

On a selfish note, I quite like the fact that a lot of the bands I like are never successful. For example, I've liked Amy Winehouse for ages and it's annoying because i never got the chance to see her live when she was still incredibly unfamous and/or sober, and now THAT BITCH HAS CANCELLED HER TOUR AND RUINED MY DECEMBER. Whereas if Emmy The Great is never commercially successful, we can see her playing tiny little venues FOR EVER.