Thursday 13 December 2007

I Drink Till I'm Sick

THE ANSWERING MACHINE.

I am now back home in my lovely house with my family (which is brilliant, so far) unfortunately being home means that I have to go back to work. I am doing Thursday, Friday, Saturday night shifts (10pm till 8am – OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!) I won’t be able to upload any songs from now on as I have to use the home computer which has none of my songs on it and we don’t have wireless at home (something I am working on).

The Answering Machine are my favourite band from Manchester at the moment, I remember the first time I heard them about this time last year I immediately thought of The Strokes. However, since then I have changed my opinion of that comparison and now don’t think The Strokes comparison is quite justified when listening to them. I hate answering machines, they are a pain in the arse – our answer phone at home is so annoying, we always have stupid messages on it from banks and it is usually a computer leaving a really long message and pronouncing our names wrong.

Anyway The Answering Machine are a four-piece from Manchester, they are Martin on vocals and guitar, Patrick who plays guitar, Gemma on bass and finally Ben who thumps the drums. Newest single ‘Silent Hotels’ is a dead ringer to the Los Campesinos song ‘You! Me! Dancing!’ well the intro of ‘Silent Hotels’ and about one minute thirty seconds into ‘You! Me! Dancing!’. Despite this huge likeness it is a brilliant pop song which does borrow from Los Campesinos but ultimately is different due to the contrasting vocals of the two bands.

Oklahoma’ was the very first song I heard oh so long ago, and it was the song which made me want to listen more to The Answering Machine. ‘Your Home Address’ is yet another song which made me feel rather passionate about this band, I can imagine many people have heard The Answering Machine I just hope they get some success in 2008; because they really do deserve it!

No comments: