Monday 3 December 2007

Believe Your Own Hype. Always.

ELLE MILANO.

Elle Milano is (now) three-piece from Brighton and they make music which can be described as art-rock. Heavy guitars and screaming vocals are what Elle Milano is about. Don’t be worried by the screaming vocals, I don’t mean screaming as in Gallows. Just a scream now and again, I’ve heard that horrible genre given to Elle Milano beginning with an E. Emo. Yes. I can’t see the emo in Elle Milano (I can see Help She Can’t Swim, but they aren’t emo) but then again I am not emo so perhaps I don’t know what emo actually is.

Anyway that’s quite enough of emo’s, focus back onto the brilliant Elle Milano. Once upon a time they were four-piece, however they lost guitarist Alex and are now just a three-piece however I understand they are looking for a new guitar player. The Elle Milano catalogue is absolutely massive however live they don’t play certain songs anymore, for reasons only they know. Previous songs such as ‘Ringtone Advertising Director’, ‘Melanie You’re Melting’ and ‘Private Thoughts’ that don’t appear on the live shows showed so much promise from Elle Milano when I first heard of them. They went extremely quiet for so long (due to University) but did release the magnificent ‘Swearing’s For Art Students’ which contained ‘Men Are Bastards’, ‘Believe Your Own Hype. Always’, ‘Amphetamine Skyrocket’ and ‘Swearing’s For Art Students’. This EP showed so much potential and got me so excited about them that I couldn’t contain myself.

18 months later everyone was wondering what was happening, then the announcement of a new single made me enthusiastic once again. ‘My Brother, The Astronaut’ is much like the ‘Swearing’s For Art Students’ EP, it contains that snarl and sarcastic tone of voice and heavy riffs. It made me thrilled about this band (again) and new demos such as ‘Carousels’, ‘Stepkids in Love’ and ‘Curiosity Killed the Pop Star’ provide me with excitement about the future of this band. With an album expected in the New Year (January 2008 has been touted as the date) I think 2008 will be a BIG year for Elle Milano.

Elle Milano – Carousels

4 comments:

westie said...

elle milano are fucking excellent. 2008 is a big year for them, me thinks. hahah just to rip off your comment, elle milano did play private thoughts when I saw them a few weeks ago! Where abouts are you studying Journalism.

Shaun said...

in south-west london!

really? wow. ive never heard them do private thoughts, when i saw them it was a pretty new-ish set. i think it had believe your own hype, katsuki and swearings for art students and that was it for old songs.

jamila FUCKING DANCE said...

they played private thoughts when we saw them at islington didn't they? i sweeeeeeeeear they did.
and you are definitely an emo according to 12 year olds in Kingston. i am never going to forget that.

Shaun said...

you know what. i've just checked my setlist from that night, and it says private thoughts. im very forgetful (anyways they don't play A LOT of old songs).

yes, according to 12 year old chavs in kingston we ARE emo's.