Friday 14 December 2007

Sometimes I Am Too Shy To Talk To You

STRICKEN CITY.

Well, my first ever night shift has resulted in my hands being ripped to absolute shreds. Who would’ve thought that lifting cans of beans and jars of curry would cause so much pain? Never did I imagine how much they would make me suffer for 10 hours, but my god they did make me suffer! Oh well, only two more to go then finally a night off!

I found Stricken City the other day somehow, not sure how – I think I noticed them on the Mystery Jets poster for their London gig with Friendly Fires and Holy Hail. I then decided to listen to them – thank God (thank you) that I did listen because I certainly don’t regret listening to them one single bit. I know I also say “my favourite this” and “my favourite that” but Stricken City ARE my favourite band with a lady as a lead singer at the moment (how can I say this? Blood Red Shoes?)

Stricken City came to me as a nice surprise; I have to admit when I was typing them into Google I wasn’t expecting much (because I didn’t really like the name). Thankfully they made me forget my disliking of the name, I mean who cares about a name of a band eh? As long as the music is brilliant then who cares? And well, Stricken City certainly do make pretty fucking spectacular pop music if I say so myself. Fronted by the irresistible Rebekah Raa (what a cool name) along with Ian (guitar), Espen (bass) and Kit (drums) Stricken City could well be your new favourite band of 2008 (they might not be – obviously).

Stricken City are about beautiful melodies and simple bass lines that make you tap your toes and they make me feel nice and warm inside (which helps this time of year doesn’t it?) Song ‘Better As A Girl’ got voted in the top 10 of songs by Loud and Quiet magazine of 2007; not sure I really agree with this (so many amazing songs in 2007 plus ‘Five Metres Apart’ is better). With many people taking notice of Stricken City I expect them to come of age in 2008 (not literally, in music terms of course).

No comments: