Monday 24 December 2007

Dedication Versus Time Loss, Righteousness Over Friends Lost.

JOHNNY FOREIGNER.

I think it is feasible to say that I have left the best band for this 24 selection of bands till last and I am so glad they are a British band. Johnny Foreigner are cool kids from Birmingham, I think we must praise them for doing so well and being from Birmingham. I mean not a lot of good comes out of Birmingham that often; recently we’ve unfortunately had The Twang who I wish would fall into a big hole somewhere and fucking stay there. Thankfully Johnny Foreigner are NOTHING like The Twang (I thank God for this) and they are amazingly ace, quite the opposite to The Twats. None of the band are actually called Johnny, and none have the surname Foreigner – in fact the three members of Johnny Foreigner are Alexei, Junior and Esmerelda (what COOL fucking names, probably the best named band of all time?)

I fell in love with this band from the moment I heard them, the very song which did it for was ‘Our Bipolar Friends’. A slow start to the song with soft lyrics which reminds me of the lead singer Katie from Sky Larkin but then all of a sudden it “rocks the fuck out” which is how I would like to put it. I will get to see Johnny Foreigner in February along with Los Campesinos (what a night that is going to be) and to say I am excited is quite an understatement. They have just returned from America after recording their much anticipated debut album and I expect Johnny Foreigner too be one of the best new bands of 2008, I think maybe the best.

If the new album due out sometime in 2008 is anything like the EP ‘Arcs Across The City’ then we are in for a magical, magnificent and mind-blowing record. Drowned In Sound gave ‘Arcs Across The City’ 10 out of 10 (they rarely give this to anyone) and This Is Fake DIY gave it 5 out of 5, so it is critically acclaimed everywhere that matters. NME gave it 7 out of 10, but as I previously said it is critically acclaimed everywhere that matters, and on this NME does not matter, what do they know for fuck sake? They claimed back in January that The Twang would be best band of the year, how wrong were they, the fucking mugs. Johnny Foreigner are immense and I think live they will be something quite special too.

‘Sofacore’, ‘The End And Everything Aft’ and ‘Champagne Girls I Have Known’ are just a selection of brilliant songs from the EP. Every song on the EP has something different and special about it, which it what makes it just THAT good. Johnny Foreigner are the band to see of 2008, get to see them in small venues whilst you still can.

No comments: