Tuesday 18 December 2007

Melodramatic Popular Song.

GRAMMATICS.

So, Day 18. Fuck me. That means this time next week it will be Christmas. I hope you all have got your presents ready and wrapped under the Christmas tree (ha, as if). I have all mine purchase but none are wrapped, I really HATE wrapping. I see it as one of the most pointless things, EVER. The person just rips open your hard work, and to all the people who spent lots of effort and time putting silly bows on the presents, why? Someone is just going to rip it off anyway.

Right, away from the tediousness of gift wrapping and onto Grammatics who are definitely not tedious. This foursome hails from the great city of Leeds (shame about the football team though). Leeds has brought us bands like Pigeon Detectives, Kasier Chiefs, Forward Russia amongst others in recent years. Grammatics are nothing like any of the above bands, which is definitely a good thing in my opinion. Grammatics are their own band and described by Drowned in Sound as “fucking special” I think I would go along with that too. They consist of Owen on vocals, guitar and keyboard (talented man). Not forgetting Dominic on drums, Rory on bass and Rebecca on cello.

On their MySpace they describe themselves as “complicated pop music”. Quite a nice summary of their sound – at times they appear to the ears as a pop band. Then all of a sudden the Cello kicks in and the heavy guitars roar and Owen squeal’s and they are not just any other pop band. After first hearing Grammatics, I was a little unsure. I had a discussion with a friend who said “trust me, keep listening and I guarantee you will love them”. Well, I don’t love them (yet) but I certainly have strong feelings towards them.

Newest single ‘Shadow Committee’ is wonderfully crafted from start to finish. B-side ‘Broken Wing’ shows off the band’s versatility and ability to not just be any pop band from Leeds. Grammatics could be an important band of 2008, I very much hope so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommended by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.