Wednesday 19 December 2007

Do As I Say Do, Not As I Do. You Like Me Most When I’m Least Like You.

THEORETICAL GIRL.

Welly, welly, welly Christmas is almost upon us and I am getting right into the Christmas spirit, I decided to walk home from work to Christmas classic tunes today. It was nice walking home although it was freezing cold the Christmas songs and lights all around my town were certainly cheering me up.

This blog is inspired by a song I only heard about four of five days ago and since then I can’t stop listening to it. The song in question is ‘The Hypocrite’ by the very talented Theoretical Girl, who is a solo artist originally from Southend (poor her, Southend is a fucking disgusting place). The song is one of my favourites from the year (even though it is out next year), and is evidence of Theoretical Girl’s talents. The lyric “one rule for me, another for you” is something I feel quite strongly about, as I often get that very feeling!

On tour Theoretical Girl is backed by the band The Equations who are three stunningly beautiful girls (Steph on drums, Kelly on guitar and Linda on keyboard). With the backing of this band I think the live shows in 2008 will be really good, and I hope to get along to one, whether it is a support slot or headline one. The single launch on February 5th at White Heat stands out to me, and hopefully I will be attending.

Theoretical Girl is no one trick pony, after hearing ‘The Hypocrite’ I listened to more and ‘Red Mist’ is just as good as the forthcoming single if not better. Her cover of ‘O Holy Night’ on her MySpace is absolutely wonderful and it fills me with the most Christmas spirit ever imaginable, you should definitely go and listen to it. She puts her on spin on the song and makes it quite beautiful, a quality I am finding with all her songs. Most noteably 'The Boy I Left Behind' which is quite magical and just about sums up Theoretical Girl's ability as a song writer and musician.

2008 is the year of Theoretical Girl, and signed to Saliva/XL means she has a strong backing which should equate to great success in 2008.

1 comment:

Tom Oakley said...

You're so right!
one of my friends told me about her a while ago, but he usually has a rubbish taste in music so i couldnt be bothered to check her stuff out, but she's well good!